I decided to ask those in my Quilting bee to make blocks of multiples of 6 (adding a half inch seam allowance) and made up of strips of various widths. As I didn't have a clear picture of what I wanted, it was hard to decribe to others. I made these three sample blocks on Friday to give some idea of what I was thinking.
This rectangular block was the first I made and I love the triangle in it. That is where I started making this one, the rest kind of happened. It measures 6.5 x 12.5.
Next I wanted to make a 6.5 in square block and just started putting some of the scraps from the previous block together and this was the result.
The last block was a little bit more interesting as I had the idea to incorporate the fan shape. Once I got it fairly square, I cut it to what I thought was the right size (12.5 x 12.5). I looked at it in respect to the rectangle and realized something was wrong. I had cut it to 9.5 x 9.5. That is was necessitated the strips on the left and top of the block. This block reminds me of a sunset for some reason. I guess the rays fanning out through the clouds. Any way, I am fairly happy with the results of this one.
Here all three are laid out together. I hope to make at least one more 6.5 x 6.5 inch block. These were really fun and almost completely improvisationally done.
pincushions 21-31, the finale and a blog break
3 weeks ago