Friday, December 25, 2009

A Gift for a Little Girl

As a last minute thought, I decided to make a little bag for a friend's daughter. I used upholstery weight fabric, so I didn't use interfacing. The bag isn't very stiff, but it holds it's shape pretty well. I hope it is used to gather lots of little treasures!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009


Sew Mama Sew has challenged their readers to make 5 reusable shopping bags by Dec. 22. I don't know if I will be able to make that many with the other projects I have going on, but I have made two.
Back when I began sewing, just over a year ago, I bought a bunch of fabric from thrift stores in upholstry weight fabrics. I haven't used much of it, so this is a great opportunity to use some of it. The fabric for the two bags I made are from an old sheet, but the weight is heavier than normal sewing/quilting fabric. I used the tutorial on the morsbag website. I did modify it a little. The bag they show you how to make is just sewing two pieces of fabric together along three sides. This leaves a line along the bottom and makes for packing the reusable bag more difficult. I squared off the corners to make a "flat" bottom that will hold cans or boxes without pulling on the sides of the bag or distorting the shape of the bag. I am really proud of these bags!
Sorry, but I only have a picture of one of the bags. The other is the same fabric but with the strips running vertically.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Ornaments

Last Christmas, I made some ornaments by covering styrofoam balls with Christmas fabric. It worked well and looked good. This year I decided to make some marblized glass balls. I think I ended up putting to much paint into the balls because they took several days to dry and they have little puddles of paint in the bottom, but some still look nice. I made 24, but I am only going to put 12 on my tree. The other 12 I am going to save to paper mache next year. The problem with them is that the paint did not adhere to the inside properly. This means that they are streaked and look odd to me. I will use them for another project next year, so all is not wasted!

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Working on a Tree Skirt

These are three blocks for the "back" of my reversible tree skirt. I decided the back would use all the same fabric. The recommendation of the tutorial by TallGrassPrairie was to use scraps from the front. She made improv Log Cabins, so I made improv Log Cabins with this bell fabric and made sure to keep the direction print all pointing the same direction. (That is a first for me!)


Thursday, December 17, 2009

A King Size (partial) Finish!

I finished the King Size Quilt top and back! I don't love it the way I thought I would, but I still have to follow through and be happy with the fact that I made it all by myself. I have looked into having it quilted for me, but I am not sure that I want to pay someone to do it for me. The only problem is that I am not sure that the quilt will fit into my sewing machine! Oh well, I look forward to having it completely finished.

This is the quilt back. I used the remnants of the fabrics used on the from and added the brown to darken the overall colors of the back.