Monday, June 8, 2009

Sewing Machine Interview

One of my favorite blogs is Sew Mama Sew. They are having Sewing Machine month and as a part of that, they have asked people to "interview" their sewing machine. As I have been sewing for a little while, I thought I would join in!

So here is my sewing Machine:



What brand and model do you have?

Brother XR 7700 (this is the Costco version of the CS6000i)

How long have you had it?

I bought it in September or October 2008, so just under a year.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

I think I paid $180 through Costco.com (the price included shipping). It also included several accessories. In addition to the normal foot, it came with a walking foot, stippling foot, 1/4 in foot, a zipper foot, and several others that I don't remember at this time! It also came with an attachable table for quilting.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

I have done quite a bit of quilting since getting my machine. I am starting to make some clothes for my children.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

I try to sew a little bit each day, so I think that the the machine gets used about 5-7 hours a week.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

I like my sewing machine. I don't love or hate it, but it has been good for me, a new sewist. I haven't named it, I am not that creative!

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

I really like the drop in bobbin, the reverse button, and all of the different stitches!

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

It is difficult to quilt big quilts as the arm is not very big. Sometimes the machine moves when I am trying to manipulate a large quilt as it only weighs about 18 lbs. Oh, I almost forgot that the machine sometimes skips stitches. These doesn't seem happen too often, but when you are quilting, it can happen more often than I like. Also I have had some problems with tention, but I think that is more my error than the sewing machine's!

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

I saved up my money to buy it, my husband did the research to decide what was the best machine for the money that I had, and have been really pleased with it.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

I would definately recommend it to beginners, or someone who isn't sure how much sewing they are going to do. It is a good little machine.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

Next time I buy a sewing machine, I will look for a heavier machine and one that can accommodate larger quilts.

Do you have a dream machine?

I would love to buy a long arm one day, but I think I have to wait until the kids are grow!


I hope this helps someone get into sewing! It has been a lot of fun and I believe has helped me not go through as many mood swings and emotional problems after having my little boy last June.

No comments:

Post a Comment