Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Disappearing Nine Patch

A while back, I found a large package of fabric at Goodwill. It was all what I considered to be old fashioned fabrics. You know the kind that are odd shades of familiar colors with tiny little flowers all over them. I was really excited to have this collection as it gave me some fabrics that I could play with without being scared of cutting my nice stuff.
I decided to try a combination of tutorials that I had read about. I modified the crazy nine patch tutorial to be straight lines instead of crazy. I found this method really fun as it was quick piecing! It is great to see so much accomplishment so quickly. Next I applied this disappearing nine patch tutorial. I love this look! This quilt is my husband's favorite that I have made so far. The quilt looks very old fashioned. It measures approximately 40 inches square.
Here is the main part of the quilt:

This is a closer view of one of the blocks:

The back is one large disappearing nine patch:

The binding is pieced from strips of the fabrics used in the quilt. I really like it.

I quilted the disappearing nine patch with a pretty yellow thread, but I had a fair amount of problems with the tension. In the end, I don't think it is right, but it is useable. I'm not going to take it all out, now! I have learned my lesson about buy cheaper quality thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment